Thursday, September 6, 2012

Peppers for the Soul

I love peppers.
My soul loves peppers.

And I really love the fact that peppers are so packed with vitamins and so low in calories and carbs.

Last night, as I rooted through my fridge, looking for dinner parts, I suddenly remembered the remaining long hots that I had purchased at my friendly neighborhood Produce Junction for the weekend BBQ.
If you don't reside in South Jersey, you may not know of the Produce Junction phenomenon. Bags of vegetables and fruits for a dollar or two - I'm not kidding. We're not talking weird, deformed stuff either. If you can name a pepper, PJ's has it. Jalapeno, poblano, anaheim, hungarian, red, green, thai hot, long hot, cherry hot, sacks of dried chilies.
Grape tomtaoes, cherry tomatoes, plum tomatoes, beefsteaks. Red onion, white onion, spanish onion, vidalia onion, green onion and shallots.
Basil, cilantro, chive, fresh rosemary, mint, thyme, oregano, sage, dill.
Mango, papaya, avacodo, ugli fruit, six types of apples and three types of pears.
It goes on, and on.
Again, all for between $1.00 and $3.00 per 1 to 2 lb bag. 

So, last night, as I foraged and rooted, I came up with a recipe of leftovers that pleased my mind, body and my soul.

Long Hots stuffed with leftover ricotta cheese mixture. I added homemade toasted low carb hamburger roll breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, egg and a little garlic, stuffed the six peppers, and then wrapped them with a small package of proscuitto from Trader Joes.
Drizzled with olive oil, and then popped in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes.

Along side I made a rather sad caprese salad - only because I lacked fresh basil, and my roasted red peppers were a little past their due date.

A few leaves of chopped romaine tossed with ( leftover) homemade caesar dressing and topped with 4 or 5 whole wheat croutons ( Wegman's brand --hooray!) and there ya go-

Low carb, not neccessarily low calories, but still.....

And, by the way, I only ate about half of that plate, then finished the evening with a sugar free pudding - yee-haw!!

Soul-satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment